Friday, September 10, 2010

You Are Cordially Invited...

... To start reading my blog!

I'll admit that I've never attempted anything like this before. Forgive me, friends and followers, as I try to navigate my way through the blogosphere!

I've been involved in some aspect of wedding planning for three years now, and I'd love to share my take on things. Here, you will find ideas, pictures, and things I hope can inspire brides while they begin to plan the biggest party they may ever throw!

That, dear readers, is my first topic of conversation. You're about to throw the most amazing and memorable event of your life! Put down the magazine and stop psycho-dialing your mom! Wedding planning is supposed to be FUN! When you look back 10 years from now, you will not remember the table linens or if the peonies perfectly matched your bridesmaid's blush colored dress. People who will remember that even less, will be your guests. They will remember a happy (sober) bride and groom, a great party, good music, and what a wonderful time they had. So relax! Let this process be an enjoyable way to express your relationship and your style.

Ask someone years ahead of you, such as your aunt or a family friend about her wedding. She may have great advice about what is important. I guarantee you it won't be the perfect bouquet or the perfect unity candle. In fact, forget that word... perfect! I bet some of the "flaws" will be the parts you will laugh about 25 years later.

A dear friend of mine was married several years ago and shared a story with me. Her wedding cake was nothing like she had hoped. She brought a napkin into her bakery to show the color of periwinkle she was using. She described a beautiful tiered cake, and left it at that. She was shocked, horrified, and later absolutely TICKLED at the cake she received! It was closer to powder blue than purple, and it took over then entire 10 foot table! Insead of stacking the tiers, each one was staggered around the table. She couldn't help but laugh! She pulled out the pictures to show me her "disaster" cake and I loved it!

There is something I must warn you, bride-to-be. Take a deep breath and prepare yourself. Something. Will. Go. Wrong. Did you pass out? Ok, if you made it through that, just listen. When planning such a huge event and counting on so many other people to come through for you, there will most likely be something that will happen that is not part of the plan. Guess what? You will STILL get married to Mr. Wonderful and life will go on! The sooner you accept that, the better off you will be.

I know that was tough to swallow, so why don't you take a break from the planning and call your best friend. Try not to bring up the wedding even once! And, have a glass of champagne on me!

0 comments: